Friday 19 October 2018

CAPTAIN'S WECOME

Good Evening Ladies
A week ago today, I was elected as your Captain and this afternoon, I performed my first duty as your Captain, which has been reported on, in relation to the 4 Club Competition.

I would like to thank all those members, both ladies and gents who have congratulated me to date. I feel honoured to have obtained their respect.  The tasks ahead for the year, I believe will vary between being enjoyable, fun, interesting and no doubt challenging at times.  However, I know I have a good team at my side and a wealth of knowledge among the Ladies' section, who I can and will call upon to help move our Section and the Club forward.

One of my major tasks will be to ensure all our ladies experience a relaxed and positive atmosphere, not only on the course, but throughout the clubhouse. Therefore, I call upon us all to consider how we can achieve this and for you all to bring forward your ideas.
   
It is also clear that club memberships, in general, across the country are declining. Lady and junior girl members are not increasing in great numbers and Blairgowrie is no exception to this situation, irrespective of our prestigious history. We need to ensure that visitors to our club continue to consider that, this is a club they may like to join.  A number of our newest members have done just this, with some having moved from south of the border after having played our courses on a number of occasions.  Some have a wealth of experience and knowledge which as club members we need to harness, if we are to help our club go from strength to strength.  So again, I ask us all to think about how we can attract more new ladies and girl members and ensure their experience is as positive as it can be.  As keen golfers we can all help others be attracted to our beautiful game at Blairgowrie.

Monday 22nd October sees the first meeting of your new Committe, who consists of myself, Carolyn Haddow, Mary Miller, Margaret Hunter, Jo Stewart, Margaret Kerr and Pauline Hill.  A number of members have also offered their assistance as volunteers and when the time comes, I will be calling on you, so keep these e-mails and mobiles open.  In this respect, can I ask you to ensure the Office has an up-todate contact for you.

Finally, next week is the Turkey-Trot, with vouchers being the prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, which will be presented at the Christmas lunch.  Please ensure you sign up as there is only a morning draw.

Thank you all again. In the words of Martin Luther King, "I have a Dream."  Mine is, "If I can leave my Captaincy with the same smile that I have in my Captain's photo, I will have achieved my dream.


Fiona Johnston
Captain.